Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mission: Discovery

Ever since I was a little girl, I guess you could say I've been a bit of a drama queen. I've loved performing in any aspect from as far back as I can remember. From learning to sing harmony at the age of 5 (just one of the many skills I picked up courtesy of Northwood Easter Seal Camp), to my first school choir/play at age 8, performing has just been something I've always done. Unfortunately, I have been told my many people over the years (including repeated reminders from my loving yet WAY too harsh with the reality, parents) that pursuing acting as a full time career was, as they put it, an "unrealistic career goal for someone like me".

And over time, I came to believe this and begin to pursue other options. Don't get me wrong, I've been really happy pursuing my goal of becoming an Educational Assistant. I've truly come to love working in the classroom, particularly with children who have learning and behavioral difficulties. That said, there's always been a part of me that still yearns to be in front of a camera, bringing a character to life. Please do not misunderstand me...my goal is not and never has been, to be "famous" per se, I just want to be able to make a living acting. That's why, out of curiosity in the fall of '05 or so, I posted a free "portfolio" of sorts on a site for aspiring models (let me make this clear...I am so NOT model material. I think you actually need to be pretty to do that..LOL...shoot me for the self-deprecation if you must, but I just don't see anything close to pretty when I look in the mirror). Since that time, I've gotten a few bites from interested photogs (well one actually... he shot 75 frames or so for free because he had never shot someone in a wheelchair before. For the record, the shoot took place just outside my building in broad daylight with people milling about, so it was 100% safe...Not to mention the fact that I researched this guy ahead of time to ensure that he was legit).

I've also gotten repeat offers from one agency in Toronto that I've never gotten back to. Something in me just didn't feel like it was the right place for me....And that's been it...until late last week when I received an offer of representation from C &A Talent, an agency that deals with print, film television and other opportunities. According to the e-mail I received, some of their clients have made anywhere between $100-$3500 per job. Some of these jobs include: Much Music Concert listings, K-OS music video, Marilyn Manson music video, Russell Crowe's film "Cinderella Man", Trident billboards.


I'm trying to decide whether or not I should meet with them to discuss the possibility of working with them, since they seem to be confident that I have a "marketable look"...At first, I thought maybe the lady that looked at my profile didn't know that I have a disability, but then I went back and checked it, and it turns out that I did include that I use a power wheelchair and leg braces. Maybe she just didn't see that part...Or maybe she did and is still interested.

This is the first time I've gotten an offer that I haven't been able to let go of. The last few times this has happened, I read it, enjoyed the few fleeting moments of flattery it brought, but then realized that it was probably too good to be true, and even if it wasn't, I couldn't get to Toronto anyway because of financial constraints...And besides, what if I get there and the building isn't wheelchair accessible? This time I CAN afford it. I really would like to go, but I'm not sure I can since I won't go alone, and I don't know of anyone that would be willing to go, even though I would pay for everything this person would need (greyhound ticket, since I should go in the chair I use most of the time to give the agency the clearest picture of my abilities, food, and anything else that might come up...hotel won't be necessary since we would go down and back the same day)....It sucks too because I REALLY need the money.

I know that there is a high likelihood that absolutely nothing would come out of this meeting, but the thought of living the rest of my life wondering if anything would have come of it, leaves me feeling almost sick.

But since going to that meeting alone is absolutely out of the question...What choice do I have?

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 8:35:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Ah, I'm always a sucker for the "What if?" questions as well. Those tend to stick in my head a lot longer than they should sometimes.

    Who can deny someone pursuing their dream, eh? Not me.

    On the flip side, I have vague idea to write for a living since I like blogging so much. I just don't see that happening realistically. Ugh.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 3:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ashleigh said…

    Hey...you never know...Those stories you write on your blog are VERY good...better than you gove yourself credit for. One of these days I might just insist that you put them together as a collection of short stories.

    While I'm on the subject...you might want to see about getting the stories you've written so far copyrighted...This is not meant as flattery...I'm 100% serious.

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 11:19:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey girl! I just wanted to let you know this is all in my prayers! If you have a chance email me to catch me up on what is going on in your life! Love ya,

    Steph

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 8:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tamrah said…

    I know we only met once and didn't really talk at the poker game, but through Jamie's blog I found yours. First of all... I think you're gorgeous and being someone who says the same thing as you when they look in the mirror... I think we greatly underestimate ourselves. Second, your dream is very inspiring and I think that even if your parents are right that acting may not be the role... you are already on track it seems with a good and fulfilling career path, so why couldn't acting if only as a hobby be a real possibility. Now... considering the screen that I'm typing on has a wheelchair next to the word verification box ... I'm pretty sure nearly every building in Toronto is wheelchair accessible and that the woman who sent you the email didn't miss the part about it... people that send emails like that are paid not to miss a thing... AND there must be some person that you know that wants to do a summer road trip to Toronto. SO even though your fears of the situation are valid... it's certainly not a dangerous risk... so if it's something you really want to do ... I hope that you do.

    I hope that wasn't to awkward coming from someone you don't know :S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home