Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Let the Q &A continue...

These next few questions were asked of me by a friend who'll be coming to see me for the first time this summer (YAY!!!!!! Man...blogger really needs some emoties..heh), and she had some very good, logistical questions. I thought her questions applied to anyone that I would hang out with, not just to her visit....Here's what she wanted to know:

When we go out together, what things should I do to assist you?

The answer to this question depends largely on what we decide to do. For now, let's just assume we're going to a movie. If we're all going to the movie in a car, I would need to bring my manual wheelchair (my power chair weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 300lbs and it doesn't fold). In this situation, I require assistance with getting from point A to B to C, etc (power to manual chair, chair to car, and possibly chair to movie seat...but we'll make that last one optional as it is not necessary). To assist me in this one of two things is possible...I can give you a quick tutorial on a basic pivot transfer (so easy...basically all I require is a hand to hold in most cases, because I will often use another surface to help support my weight. It's a little hard to describe in writing though). Option two is to do what my friends from church do and just lift me from place to place (this method is generally preferred my the men in my life, dad included, because apparently it's faster). I really have no preference to one or the other...I just do what the person helping me is most comfortable with.

Once at the theatre, I don't think much help would be required as we likely won't be gone long enough for me to require use of the facilities. Generally speaking, if a longer outing is anticipated, I will arrange the necessary transportation so that I can bring my power chair. I can't transfer out of my manual chair independently, because it's not stable enough to support my weight during the transfer, unless someone that I REALLY trust follows me in and holds in steady. However, since that situation is awkward for all parties involved, I avoid extended manual chair outings wherever possible. Other than that, the only other assistance I require is with pushing (if I did it, we would never get anywhere. I never had a gift for maneuvering in manual chairs).

What types of things should I expect you can do for yourself?

Again, this is dependent upon the situation...More specifically, the chair I'm in. The short answer goes like this: Power chair= 95% rate of independence (give or take 3% depending on the "accessibility" of wherever we decide to go). My time in college has allowed me to sharpen my chair moving skills extensively haha! Manual Chair= well I can't put a percentage on this, let's just say it's not very high (in large part because this particular chair is not customized and is rather old...Frankly, I'm surprised I still fit in the thing! It was with me through my awful middle school years. I think it came out less scarred than I did...LOL) The upside to this particular chair is that it is easily portable...

If there;s anything else you'd like to know--any of you--just ask. Let me reiterate that there is no question that will be considered "dumb, insensitive," or anything of the like. This is an educational experience for ALL of us...even me...I'd like to know what people wonder most about....Even if it's something totally mundane. I'm notorious for asking people I want to get to know better questions that, to most people, seem rather uninteresting...What can I say? I like to know as much about the people around me as I can.

My hope is that, over the course of this "series" of blogs, those of you who read this will become comfortable enough around me to ask me anything without fear.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home