Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Friday, March 23, 2007

Growth spurt...

I guess that's the best way to describe what has happened to me over the last few days, both emotionally and spiritually.

For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with friendships in the sense that I'm always sort of waiting for something to go wrong somehow. I've always figured that if I kept my distance until I felt that had "proved" to me that they were a true friend, that there was less chance of me getting hurt. This strategy has served me well...or so I thought until a few days ago. During a conversation with my best friend, I realized that, although this strategy was necessary for me for a long time growing up, things have changed now. Now, I'm blessed enough to have a good group of friends around me that like me for me, and aren't just being nice out of some twisted sense of obligation because I'm "different". The thing that hit me the hardest about this conversation was the realization that I was being really unfair to these people. They have done nothing but love me from the beginning. I feel I should apologize for this. It was wrong, and probably hurtful of me to doubt the intentions of any of you, and I'm sorry.

I know now, that each of you are gifts send to me from God for different reasons...Not because of the things you do or say, but because of WHO you are.

3 Comments:

  • At Friday, March 23, 2007 at 1:47:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (((((hugs)))))

    I definitely know how you feel. When you are hurt by many people at a young age, it is easy to doubt people's intentions. I know for awhile I seemed to doubt everyone's intentions. I did that just because I thought I had a solid group of friends, and then they betrayed me. Going through something like that made me paranoid about everything..... even if I knew deep in my heart those fears were nonsense.

    I think you are coming to a conclusion I came to about myself a few weeks ago. I see now that a lot of my fears were completely wrong and unfair to other people. I'm so extremely grateful to have people like you in my life.

    with love,
    Steph

     
  • At Friday, March 23, 2007 at 9:46:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Ah, so that's what you were alluding to at cell group last night. "Perceive me!" Heh.

     
  • At Friday, March 23, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To either doubt the intentions of the able-bodied or to put them on a pedestal for their kindness, is to be unfair to them. Your friends w/o disabilities deserve to be seen with the same clear view as you see your friends w/disabilities. Don't assume the success or failure of the friendship has anything to do with your chair because it most likely doesn't. Now, apology made ... move on and just be a good friend.

    Oh, my ... now these dear people will begin to see snarky Ash. Should I be praying for them?

    Sherry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home