Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Introspection...

Over the last couple of weeks at church, we have talked about God's blessings in our lives and what we do with them. Blessings like finances, time, talents, relationships, etc. One question that was raised has been churning in my brain ever since..."What would you want said about you at your funeral?"

I don't know what I want said about me specifically, but this question has made me take a serious look at the kind of person I am, and I've come to the conclusion that I need to make some changes, particularly in the way I choose to interact with those around me. I'm not saying that I treat those around me badly necessarily, but I could do a lot better.

In terms of friendships, I don't have that many. The "why" behind this bothered me until someone said to me that the only real way for me to find good friend "connections" so-to-speak, is to take that first step and BE that friend to someone else. That's hard for me, and I'm not sure why. I've realized now, though, that it doesn't matter how hard it is, I need to start trying to be a blessing to someone else.

I've also felt recently, that the friendships I have are very much one-sided. It seems like I've been leaning on others a lot lately (I lean on God too, not just people), not giving my friends the opportunity to lean on me. Maybe they've, in some respect, chosen not to because they either can't trust me for whatever reason, or because they just don't feel like I can handle it. I could be WAY off in this (that's probably very likely), but it's just the way I've begun to feel lately.

There is one thing I've wanted to do for a long time, but I've not been successful at up to this point...I really need to learn how NOT to be so sarcastic all the time. There are times where it's warranted, but more often than not, I say things that are inappropriate, or end up being misinterpreted. I started using it as a defense mechanism in high school, after spending 3 years playing the doormat for my classmates in middle school. I needed it then, justto stand up for myself, but now that it's no longer a necessity in my daily life, I don't know how to stop it. Because of this, I'm sure there are times where I have come off as obnoxious or attention-seeking, which is definitely not who I am. Along that same line, I really need to not talk so much. I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to be a good friend to someone if you're babbling all the time.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm being self-loathing, because I'm not. These are just a few things that, if I can improve on them even a little bit, I can be a better friend to the friends I have now, and to the friends God will lead me to in the future.

What do I want said about me at my funeral? I'd like to be remembered as someone who blessed the lives of those around me, even if it's in just a really small way. I guess I just want to make a difference somehow...

8 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 9:46:00 AM EST, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Ah, sarcasm, how I love thee. I used to use sarcasm in much the same way and it really bothered some of my friends and family. Similarly, I had to make a conscious choice to avoid using it and respond politely instead.

    And yeah, I love the "What will people say at your funeral" question. Fortunately, I've had a few unique times in my life, like my Blessing Day and certain birthdays, in which people could speak up like that about me. A lot of it comes back to having a purpose-driven life. What's the point, right? Who are we helping?

     
  • At Saturday, March 3, 2007 at 12:23:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it is always good to take a look at your life and say "this is what I need to work on or work out." Just don't loose what you know you do RIGHT in the process either. (I guess what I'm trying to say is--don't be too hard on yourself.)

    What would people say at your funeral? I really don't want to think about that, just because I personally am not ready for you to leave the world yet. I'd be sobbing and sad.

    I know you mentioned you feel like sometimes your friends don't lean on you. I have no idea if I was someone in your thought process when you said that, but I just have a confession to make. I'm not leaning on much of anyone, except God lately. I'm not sure why. Things seem so hectic, and I'm just not opening up like I should. I'm really trying to rectify that and be more open about things. I have just for so long been misunderstood by so many people, I've learned to have a poker face with most people and not share my pain. I've noticed lately that I don't even share enough with my friends sometimes. My point in all that--if you feel as if I'm not sharing completely, you are probably right. But it has nothing to do with YOU, or my trust in YOU.... I'm just that way a lot lately. Oddly enough, that is something I've been wanting to tell you, and some of my other close friends.

    Well that comment went really long!
    Love ya
    Steph

     
  • At Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 2:03:00 PM EST, Blogger Lori said…

    I also love the "What will people say at your funeral" question. Many times I think about this (not all the time) and it helps keep me in check ;-)

    As for sarcasm, or humour, sometimes (often times) it keeps people at a distance emotionally - unless they are quite the same as you in that respect. So I wonder, are sarcastic people unconsciously trying to keep people at a distance? Just a thought.

     
  • At Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 3:07:00 PM EST, Blogger Ashleigh said…

    Wow Lori....good point. I think in my case you might be right.

    See this is why I love blogs. It's a really good way to see yourself at a distance, as others see you.

     
  • At Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 5:27:00 PM EST, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    I heard another version of the "funeral" question today at church. Do we think that we have matured and developed good character? If so, do we like ourselves enough to want to help another younger person become like us?

    The last words of Jesus tell us to "go and make disciples." Would we want anyone to be our disciple?

    Not quite as pithy as the funeral question, I s'pose, but it's a little more positive.

     
  • At Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 10:13:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jaimie: Not sure I am interpreting what you said correctly.

    Is discipleship about liking yourself enough to help a younger person become like us? I don’t think so. It’s about helping anyone, regardless of age, to be more like God. The goal is to help them be better than us. Like a parent, when we disciple another, we want them to be closer to the Lord then we are, hungrier for the Word than we are, stronger in their faith then we are. When we disciple, we strive to help fuel a fire that will put our light to shame.

    Question: Is it harder for someone raised in a Christian home to commit his life to Christ? Do those people understand fully the filth produced when Christ is absent?

    Sherry

     
  • At Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 11:34:00 PM EST, Blogger Ashleigh said…

    Sherry:

    In answer to your question, I feel that in my experience some Christians (though not all, of course) tend not to fully recognize the pwer that Jesus has to change someone's life.

    I grew up in what some would define as an abusive home. I never really felt like I belonged there, and was constantly having to watch everything I did and said out of fear of upsetting someone. As a result, when I first came to Jesus, I hada hard time believing th at He loved me as I was, not because I did or said the right thing. As time has passed, God has blessed me with a number of people that have helped me let Jesus do the work in me that is needed to truly make me a new person.

    Does that make sense??

     
  • At Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 12:08:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ashleigh: you and I both grew up seeing what a home is like w/o Christ as the head. So, for me, giving my children what I didn't have - namely a God-filled home, was paramont. Now my child enters into the world and I worry. But I get phone calls the past few days and find out that he is seeing the other side for the first time -- really seeing it. It's comforting to hear him say he doesn't want to be a participant in the behavior he has witnessed this weekend. I pray such revelations will lead to a deeper and more personal faith in God for him. I wonder ... does such eye-opening experiences happen to all who grow up in Christian homes? If so, why do some choose to turn away from the teachings of parents and some stay in the faith? I just pray he will never get used to seeing it so much that he turns away.

    Sherry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home