Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Frustration....

That's what I'm feeling right now. Not because someone wronged me...No, I'm frustrated by something that I have absolutely no control over. I've always had an issue with startling over the slightest loud noise. It's part of my disability, I really can't do much about it, and for the most part, I've kept it hidden from most of the people who know me. At least I did until recently. It's gotten worse since the "King of Heaven" production started at church last weekend. It seems that, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get this under control.

I've always been rather self conscious about this (it comes from members of my family making jokes about it at my expense), but I've learned to live with it. It just bothers me to know that people are noticing. Don't get me wrong, nobody has said anything even remotely offensive to me about it, it's just something that's always frustrated me because I know exactly when it will happen, but I'm powerless to stop it the majority of the time. For the most part, I make jokes about it with people ( I learned to laugh at myself at a very young age) and I like that. It puts others at ease. I tend to only feel this way when it has an impact on my performances, which is what's been happening lately. I mean, I still sing to the best of my ability every time I'm up there (after all, it's not about me, it's about Him), but there is a part of me that dreads it throughout the whole performance.

I've been asked numerous times whether or not I would give up my disability if it were ever possible, and I always say no. I still say no, but I would, however, "jump" at the chance to be less spastic! Okay, that beyond corny, even by my standards...HAHAHAHA!

-Ashleigh

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, December 17, 2006 at 7:50:00 AM EST, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Heh heh heh. Bad jokes are good.

    I thought I noticed that you were less jumpy last night, so maybe you do have a measure of control. In any case, you're only as jumpy as Candace and Tara. And at least you don't fall down everytime somebody psychs you out, like Tara does. :)

     
  • At Sunday, December 17, 2006 at 9:44:00 AM EST, Blogger Ashleigh said…

    This is very true....Can you just imagine what that would sound like to the audience, since they can't see us most of the time? HAHAHA!

     
  • At Monday, December 18, 2006 at 5:22:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey girl... it's steph!

    I'll be praying for you! It's hard when people make fun of things that you can't control! I've had the same thing happen to me from time to time. I love you and I hope things will be better soon! Just smile and keep you chin up!

    Steph

     

Post a Comment

<< Home