Prayer, Purpose & Passion

Sunday, February 11, 2007

One year....

In Februrary 2006, I took my first timid steps back towards the throne of my Father. On the urging of someone who is now my closest friend, I entered Glad Tidings Assembly...again. I had been there once before in April of 2004, just once. I got to the Saturday service VERY early, and so I immediately felt like I stood out in the worst way possible...so I left...Little did I know I was running from God. I should have known it was God who drew me to GTA, when, upon first glance, the music pastor referred to me as "trouble"...

Since that Sunday in February, my life has literally been changed in ways that I could never have predicted, For the first time in my life, I finally feel like I "fit" somewhere. It's a place full of people I can count on to be there...for an uplifting word, a prayer, a hug, or all three...

My best friend says she can see a marked change in me since my return to the Lord and to GTA. I can't...at least not as much as she can. I think I'm still the same girl that tries to hide when in a large grouo of people, the same girl who tends to speak first and think later, regardless of the consequences. However, I have noticed, especially over the last week, that I have learned that it's okay to be angry with God when you can't see exactly what He's doing...It's okay if you can't muster the strength to do anything but cry when spending time with him...All of that is fine so long as you don't move until He tells you to...You'll end up hurting more than just yourself. Take it from someone who learned that lessson the hard way this week...

I've been thinking about this past year over the last few days, and I think my favorite time of the year came when God called me to join the "King of Heaven" choir. Initially, when He told me to do this, I fought Him...hard...I had only been back from visiting my family for a week or so, and just before I left, my father made a comment about me not being able to sing. I decided then (at least I thought I had), that I would never sing again. And the He spoke. I tried to defend my position, but the Lord was quick to respond with these words: "Who knows you better than I who created you?" From that point on, I just decided to shut up and sing.

I've been singing for as long as I can remember. I've always considered music to be a kind of equalizer for me. This was proven especially true during my experience in the choir. Once the music started, it was no longer about me, but about Him. Beyond that, I have to say that the effort made to help me "fit" was unbelievable. Never in my life (and I have lots of experience with choirs) has someone thought to put a regular chair on top of a riser so that the audience could see me better.

That's just one of the many examples I have to look back on over this past year. I can't really articulate how grateful I am to the Lord for using Sherry to push me back through those doors again.

I've learned many lessons this year, but the most important is this...If you let it, one year can change your life.

Praise Him always for his goodness!

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 8:30:00 AM EST, Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Don't move until He tells you...so true, yet difficult to do. I'm right in th emiddle of learning that one again.

    Shut up and sing...heh.

    One year can change your life...love that line.

     
  • At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 11:19:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One year can change your life ...

    Look at Jeremy ... if you had told me a year ago that today he would call Jesus his Savior, I would have said you were nuts. Of all PB adoptees, he was the one I thought was the least likely to surrender to Christ. And yet ... it has happened -- a 180 degree turn around. (or should I say -- an about face)

    One year CAN change your life.

    So, don't move til He says so, but when He does, don't hesitate. In the meantime, make the most of where He's put you now.

    Sherry

     
  • At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 11:28:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep singing.
    And I think you've grown a lot this year too. No matter what, I really do care about you and I hope you know that. ~Steph

     

Post a Comment

<< Home